China, USA, and India lead – Brazil 12th
- The number of scientific articles on artificial intelligence (AI) published worldwide tripled from 16,851 in 2000 to 51,085 in 2018.
- Publications involving Brazilian authors grew more than fivefold in the same period, from 242 to 1,236. The country rose from 15th to 12th in terms of the number of articles published in the field.
- China has published the most on AI since 2005. In the 2014–2018 period, its researchers were included as authors in 25% of all publications in the field, followed by researchers from the USA, who participated in 15%. India has been in third place since 2013.
USP, UNICAMP, and UFPE top in Brazil
- USP leads among institutions with more than 800 AI articles published between 2014 and 2018, followed by UNICAMP and UFPE
- From the list of leading institutions, there are two other universities from São Paulo: UNESP and UFSCar, tied in 8th place
In addition to São Paulo (4 institutions) and Pernambuco (UFPE, UFRPE), the 20 most productive Brazilian institutions in the field also include: Paraná (UFPR, UFTPR, PUC-PR), Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ, UFF, PUC-RJ), Minas Gerais (UFMG, UFU), Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS, PUC-RS), Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN), Distrito Federal (UnB), and Santa Catarina (UFSC)
Notes (1) Publications includes “Articles,” “Proceedings Papers,” and “Reviews” from the “Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence” field on Incites, Web of Science.
Sources Incites, Web of Science, Clarivate. Data downloaded on 02/06/2020. Prepared by the FAPESP ST&I Indicators team and Studies and Indicators Department.Republish